Teach to think, to do, to create!
Providing stimulating, rigorous teaching adapted to the needs of students is the main objective of the Department of Communication Sciences, which has been in existence for more than three decades, where professionals of recognized merit have passed and which, according to official data from the Directorate- Statistics of Education and Science, an employability rate in the order of 90 percent.
We offer three levels of training: a Bachelor's degree, lasting three years, which offers transversal training in the area of Communication, providing knowledge in some of its sub-domains - such as journalism, advertising and organizational communication -, a Master's degree, with duration of two years, devoted to specialization in digital communication and built in partnership with companies in the sector, and a Doctorate, lasting four years, with an extraordinary innovative character, due to its formulation and theme: “Media and Society in the Context of the Community of Portuguese-Speaking Countries”.
In all teaching cycles, we have a central concern: connecting theory with practice. We promote reading and reflection around vital topics in the area of communication and invite students to develop practical work in laboratories with technical equipment similar to professional writing.
The Department of Communication Sciences also promotes interdisciplinary training, working in partnership with other UAL departments and inviting students to participate in the academic life of the university, through colloquia and conferences, among other activities.
- Develop a critical analysis of the contemporary world with reference to the social and human sciences, especially the theoretical-analytical framework of Communication Sciences.
- Promote the acquisition of skills and knowledge necessary for professional performance in the area of communication, whether in the production, analysis or management of content and communication products.
- Foster technical-technological skills that allow the development of content for different media (print, radio, television and digital).
- Deepen specialized knowledge that enables professional performance in the areas of Journalism, Advertising and Marketing and Public Relations.
- Stimulate reflection and awareness of the ethical and social implications inherent to communication activities.