The Application Guide presents the necessary rules for applicants to apply for one of the three Doctoral Scholarships of the Department of History, Arts and Humanities (DHAH) of the Autonomous University of Lisbon (UAL).
2 – Who can apply?
- The grants are intended for PhD students, enrolled at UAL, to carry out R&D activities leading to obtaining an academic degree;
- All applicants who meet the necessary conditions to enter the 3rd cycle to acquire the academic degree of Doctor, according to the General Regulation of Masters and Doctorates of the Autonomous University of Lisbon, may apply. https://autonoma.pt/wp-content/uploads/Regulamento-Mestrados-e-Doutoramentos-1.pdf
- Preference is given to candidates who demonstrate a proximity to the research areas of the DHAH professors. PhD in History – Autonomous University (autonoma.pt)
3 - Objectives
Doctoral scholarship holders will be exclusively, as doctoral students, and must:
- Complete the curricular training within 1 year;
- Defend a research project in the 3rd semester;
- Deliver your completed thesis at the end of the 6th semester;
- Have regular meetings with your advisor and deliver reports in accordance with his/her guidelines;
- Actively collaborate in the R&D activities carried out within the scope of UAL's DHAH.
4 - Duration of Scholarships
The duration of the PhD Research Grants is annual, renewable up to a maximum of three consecutive years. The annual renewal of doctoral grants is subject to the evaluation of a report delivered by the grant holder with the activities carried out every six months.
5 – Application support documents
- Research project of about five pages (including a summary, objectives, methodology, sources and about 10 bibliographic references);
- Copy of identification document;
- Qualification certificates;
- Proof of application for the Doctorate in History at UAL: https://candidaturas.autonoma.pt/
- Curriculum vitae;
- Presentation letter;
- Letters of recommendation (optional);
Applications are submitted electronically and must be delivered to the electronic address: email@example.com
6 – Evaluation of the application
The evaluation process is carried out through the analysis of the following items, with their respective weights:
- research project (45 %)
- curriculum vitae (40%)
- cover letter (15%)
In a second phase, it may be necessary to carry out interviews, in person or via zoom.
7 - Stock Market Value
The PhD Scholarship will have a monthly value of € 800,00.
8 - Application deadline
The deadline for applying for the PhD Scholarship will run from September 1st to September 30th, 2022.
9 - Jury
The jury is composed of the following elements:
Professor Frédéric Vidal (President)
Professor Doctor Miguel Figueira de Faria
Professor Dr Roberta Stumpf
Professor Doctor Adolfo Silveira Martins
Professor Isabel Carvalho Homem
The Jury may request opinions from the members of the Scientific Committee of the DHAH depending on the candidate's areas of expertise.
10 - Results
The result of the contest will be published in the site from the Department of History, Arts and Humanity of the Autonomous University of Lisbon, until the 8th of October 2022.